[IPython-dev] ipython/pydb integration - readline

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Sat Oct 28 04:57:05 EDT 2006

Ville M. Vainio reports (out of order):
 > To cut the long story short, this is the best solution and I just
 > committed it to SVN (rev 1846).

Great! Thanks!

I looked at what was committed though and have a couple of comments.
They are in line below.

And Ville continues..
 > On 10/28/06, R. Bernstein <rocky at panix.com> wrote:
 >
 > > Perhaps. And perhaps not. Because if the real solution is to:
 > >  - save the command history file,
 > >  - truncate it,

I don't see this step. Shouldn't there be a readline.clear_history()
after the save?

 > >  - call "run" (or post-mortem)

I see the save/restore for "%run", but not for post-mortem(). And this
may be a slightly more involved change, because what may be needed is
not to invoke the the debugger's post-mortem() directly in the setup
hook as is done now, but to invoke with a new wrapping routine which
surrounds the post_mortem with the same steps used in %run.

And once this is done, then all of that other code in Debugger.py to
define class Pdb and copy code from pdb can be removed/simplified!
Basically the non Python 2.5 branch can look exactly like the Python
2.5 branch, and then we can drop the requirement that pydb get loaded
only for version 2.5. Right?

(I'm not completely sure, because we haven't gotten a more
authoritative answer than my guess as to what that code does, and why
that code is *not* needed in Python 2.5 but is in Python 2.4)