[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] bug in coloured prompt

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 16:54:59 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Thorsten Kampe <thorsten at thorstenkampe.de> wrote:

> I would like to urge you strongly to consider having a look at the
> thread mentioned (or at least at Eric's reply).

I did.  Looking at that thread for a moment doesn't mean that I
magically have the time to work on this issue, unfortunately.

My time for ipython development is already highly constrained as it
is, and we have *much* bigger fish to fry right now, so the
unfortunate reality is that for me, this is very much a back-burner
issue.

But if you can't contribute a patch yourself, I encourage you to file
a ticket for this issue in our bug tracker:

http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython

This will ensure that the matter is not forgotten, and it increases
the chance that another developer or user may read about it,
understand the details and provide a viable solution.

I don't want to sound dismissive: I'd *like* to have a solid solution
for this.  But given how *today* it only affects a sub-platform
(cygwin under win32, and perhaps only with some terminals), that I
don't even have that platform installed at all, and that I have tons
of other issues to deal with that are far more pressing, I'm afraid
the solution will simply not come from me.

But if it comes from anyone else, we'll be very happy to incorporate
it, that's for sure.

Regards,