[IPython-dev] ipython embedded in twisted, no threads

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Wed Apr 18 14:37:07 EDT 2007

Hi Stefan,

I have done some more experimenting. And now I think I have something
resembling what you were after. If you replace the emacs.py file in
pyreadline/modes/emacs.py with the attached version. Then running the
async_test.py should give you a prompt where you can type away and at
the same time the window title has a counter that is increased every
second. Make sure you have a recent update from svn before replacing
emacs.py.

If you have any suggestions for improving this interface I'm open for
suggestions. I'm not sure on the best way to handle Ctrl-D and ctrl-C,
especially ctrl-c is problematic since it can be caught by other parts
of the program as well.

/Jörgen

Stefan Rank skrev:
> [...]
>
>> Stefan Rank skrev:
>>> Hi,
>>> [apologies if this arrives twice, posting via gmane didn't work - yet.]
>>>
>>> attached is an ugly first attempt at embedding IPython in a twisted
>>> application without using threads.
>>>
>>> twisted.internet.stdio and a LineReceiver implementation are responsible
>>> for getting input events.
>>> I had to subclass the IPython shell and rearrange code to
>>> create a non-blocking callback interface (splitting on the main,
>>> blocking, raw_input call).
>>>
>>> It's far from perfect: readline functionality is missing (no commandline
>>> navigation, history navigation, completion), and sometimes continuation
>>> lines eat the input counter (In[2] ... In[4]).
>>>
>>> Would IPython developers be interested in patches that allow a less ugly
>>> version of such a callback-friendly subclass? ;-)
>>> The basic idea: refactor the main loop (InteractiveShell.interact) to::
>>>
>>>    setup()
>>>    while ...:
>>>        promptforline()
>>>        raw_input
>>>        handleline()
>>>    teardown()
>>>
>>> (I think it might also be interesting for the frontend to the IPython
>>> parallel computing effort, which uses twisted.)
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> stefan

>>> '''Testing a way to embed IPython in a twisted app without using
>>> threads.
>>> (seems to work on Py25/WinXP, twisted2.5 patched with #2157,
>>> IPython0.8.0)
>>>
>>> twisted.internet.stdio is responsible for getting user input.
>>> An implementation of the LineReceiver protocol passes received lines
>>> to a custom subclass of the IPython shell (main raw_input call removed).
>>>
>>> No readline behaviour is available.
>>> (But IPython still sets up readline and uses it for colour printing.)
>>>
>>> TODO:
>>>     integrate readline functionality: two possibilities
>>>
>>>     1) Change pyreadline so that it can be called back by t.i.stdio for
>>>        all things except waiting for input (i.e. completion, key
>>> bindings, ...)
>>>        This would mean no further changes to IPython, which would still
>>>        be using pyreadline directly.
>>>        (or use a GNU readline callback interface: a t.i.stdio-alike
>>> would be
>>>        polling/selecting for input, but then call readline to
>>> actually consume it.)
>>>     2) Build a readline compatible interface for t.i.stdio
>>>        (only the parts for setting up completeres, key bindings, ...)
>>>        and make the IPython subclass use that instead of pyreadline
>>>
>>> As there is a lot of pasted IPython code including comments, I added
>>> ##### multi-hash comments and
>>> docstrings explaining the rearrangements.
>>>
>>> :author: strank
>>> '''
>>>
>>> __docformat__ = "restructuredtext en"
>>>
>>> import sys
>>> import __builtin__
>>>
>>> from twisted.internet import reactor, stdio
>>> from twisted.protocols import basic
>>> from IPython.Shell import IPShellEmbed
>>> from IPython.iplib import InteractiveShell, ultraTB