[IPython-dev] headless IPython

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:47:57 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

On 4/18/07, Andrew Dalke <dalke at dalkescientific.com> wrote:
> I've got an idea I would like to work on but I'm having
> a hard time getting started.

a couple of pointers:

- http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/users/santoso/Software.WebLab.html

may be of interest to you right away.  Someone already asked him on
the mpl list if he'd be willing to consider a more
mpl/scipy/ipython-friendly license than GPL.  I'm pretty sure the edit
widget he uses is GPL, but perhaps its original author would be
amenable to licensing options if contacted.

- in ipython, we're moving in this direction *right now*.  This
weekend I'll pull the ipython trunk into the saw branch, and we'll
begin the work of making the entire ipython be easily pluggable into
any event loop (whether twisted's, a custom readline, a gui or
whatever).

So hopefully ipython will soon provide these capabilities.  Next week
we'll have a sprint to work on this in Boulder with a group of people,
and I hope this will jumpstart our development:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Developer_Zone/Sprint