[IPython-dev] Status of pyreadline release for win32?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:42:59 EDT 2007

On 4/19/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/19/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Would you care to clarify how exactly the current version is 'totally
> > broken'?  As far as I know, we have these bugs (already fixed in SVN
> > and the rc that I just uploaded):
>
> Well, the "initial experience" is very bad on win32, you get an
> infinite traceback with no real way for a newbie (that probably
> doesn't have readline installed) to work around it or see what's
> wrong. That's something that leads to a steady flow of bug reports, so
> getting a new version out asap is a good idea.

That's only true if pyreadline isn't right.  A number of users
reported on win32 that, except for the little error message at the
start, installing BOTH:

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython-0.8.0.win32.exe
http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/pyreadline-1.4.2.win32.exe

worked just fine.

Yes, we had a bug.  But a number of users explicitly reported this
combination working just fine for them.

Having a core developer, on-list, saying that our current release is
'totally broken' in nonsensical, and only serves to scare users away.
We have bugs, we fix them, and we announce clearly what the problem
and its solution are so people can gauge the severity problem on their
own.  I am not talking about dismissing or hiding our bugs, but rather
about being accurate in describing them.

In any case, I just uploaded the 0.8.1 candidate to

http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/testing/

so let's give it a few days to simmer before we announce it officially.

Jorgen, is that 1.4.3 rc1 OK as well?  If so, we'll rename it 1.4.3
and put it out together with 0.8.1 so we have a pair that works well
together.