[IPython-dev] Nice segfault from package scanning...

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 11:51:05 EDT 2007

On 4/25/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is bad: we're quickly going to pick up a really bad rep if Ubuntu
> users (a good chunk of the desktop linux population) get a long wait
> and a segfault on every TAB after 'import'.  Let's see if we can
> convince the Debian/Ubuntu maintainers to treat this as a bug and fix
> it.

I don't think there is much convincing - if it segfaults, it's a bug
and fixes for it will be accepted.

I'd recommend upgrading Ubuntu ipython to 2.8.1 once it's released,
they'll get rid of PyColorize format2 bug as well (once it's fixed).
It's worse than the broken import completer one because you can
refrain from pressing tab after import (because it didn't do anything
useful in the first place before the completer).

> Furthermore, I'm not convinced even the new, safer package
> tab-completion should be enabled by default.  When used over NFS when
> your $PYTHONPATH contains many NFS-mounted directories (or other
> network filesystems), it is very slow.  Having your session freeze for
> a long time just because you hit the tab key isn't very good.

I think this is kinda "special usage" that should not be optimized
for. The new import completer is very groovy and I'd like to have it
on as a default.