[IPython-dev] confirm_exit issue with scipy profile...

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 17:08:14 EDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I have set
> > >
> > > confirm_exit 0
> > >
> > > in my ipythonrc file.
> >
> > No time to explore right now, but your best bet is to put this in
> > ipy_user_conf.py instead.
> >

> There's a bug in priorities, because it's possible that the new
> ipy_profile_scipy profile is overriding the one in Fred's home dir.
> Data/configs in the user's directory should always override
> system-provided ones.
>
> Currently, the new system-side scipy profile is overriding Fred's, and
> not properly loading the base one.  That's a bug in the new system to
> load profiles, which will hopefully be fixed soon:

I'm not sure I want to fix this.

The deal is, we don't typically want profiles in ~/_ipython, but let
them stay in Extensions. The profile in itself should be as
"functional" out of the box as possible, and the user should be
content in doing their settings/customization in ipy_user_conf.py (or
add a new profile that imports the old profile and specializes it).

The particular issue with scipy profile is that it does "import
ipy_defaults", which sets the "sensible" default values for many
variables (i.e. what ipythonrc was basically doing). "ipythonrc"
should not override them. My guess is that there is no "scipy" profile
in fred's ~/_ipython (and hence no "include ipythonrc" that it came
with), they are not installed anymore (but are honored if they do
exist).

The change I *will* probably put in (and that will take care of
backwards compatibility) is:

- If ipythonrc-PROFILE is found, do not import ipy_profile_PROFILE

ipythonrc-PROFILE files still will not be installed to ~/_ipython,
this feature is retained for backwards compatibility on/y (i.e. for
people w/ existing profile files they do not want to convert over to
the new system).