[IPython-dev] Auto-calling question

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:38:41 EST 2007

On 2/26/07, Dan Milstein <danmil at comcast.net> wrote:

> Actually, since you bring that up, I have a question about
> input_prefilter:
>
> As far as I can tell from the code, if you install an input_prefilter
> hook, then, for each line:
>
>   If your hook changes the line at all, then IPython does no more
> transformations (no magic, no autocall, etc)
>
>   If your hook runs but does *not* change the line, then IPython
> *does* run it's usual transformations
>

> a) Is that right?

No, ipapi.TryNext takes optional args that modify what the next hook
gets as an arg.

See ipapi.TryNext and hooks.CommandChainDispatcher (all the normal
hooks end up in CommandChainDispatcher "chains").

Let us know if this is still unclear, with the current lack of example
use. And thank you for taking initiative in this!