[IPython-dev] Strange bug

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 14:44:01 EST 2007

On 1/5/07, Gregory Novak <novak at ucolick.org> wrote:
> I just spent the better part of a day trying to figure out what on
> earth was going on with a rather strange bug.  The dramatis personae:
>
> pyIDL is a bit of python + c code that allows you call IDL
> (http://www.ittvis.com/idl/) code from Python
> (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~mmckerns/software.html)
>
> (for Mike: IPython is an enhanced interactive python shell
> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/)

He knows :)   (Mike and I have met several times at Caltech, at the
various SciPy conferences).

[...]

OK: you've given me enough information that I may be able to improve
the automatic evaluation parser to avoid this kind of situation,
though I won't get to it today.  Thanks for the excellent report.

In the meantime, try disabling autocalling:

In [1]: %autocall
Automatic calling is: OFF

and see if it helps.  If not, disable automagic as well:

In [2]: %automagic

Automagic is OFF, % prefix IS needed for magic functions.

These may give you a temporary workaround, til I get to the bottom of this.

Regards,