[IPython-dev] IPython 0.7.4 timetable concerns

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 02:37:11 EDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As you have probably seen, I'm been somewhat unable to get all the
> stuff that should go into 0.7.4 done in a timely fashion. Most of this
> is because the sub-optimal working conditions at my hotel, and the
> general reduction of freetime computer use as a result. Now it appears
> that my work period in Sweden will continue for 6 more months, so I'm
> not sure I can put in all the work I should for 0.7.4 in the projected
> time. At workplace I have zero time for IPython work.
>
> Possible solutions:
>
> - Fernando will do most of the 0.7.4 stuff, which seems to be the case
> already. Is it ok for your time plans, Fernando?

That's fine; I'd like 0.7.4 out in early April because John Hunter
(matplotlib) and I have a workshop to teach.  That's why I tried to
flush the bulk of my accumulated inbox this past weekend, and I'll
continue with the remaining material.

If you have anything in your inbox that I haven't mentioned, it would
greatly help if you remind me (I may have accidentally overlooked
something).  Either on the list if you think it's something I can
quickly dispatch, or with a ticket if you think it may become
post-0.7.4 material.

The other driving concern for me is committing all pending
contributions so that I can start moving the codebase over into the
saw branch for a unification.  Doing that  will take some time, but
now I think it won't be so bad, given how we have an easy way to toss
tests into the system.

> - Give SVN rights to more people. I've seen some promising enthusiasm
> for doing general code laundering tasks among some people on the
> mailing list recently.

I'm certainly not opposed to more contributors in principle.  I
suspect the overhaul of the code in the coming weeks is something that
not too many people will want to get involved with, but contributions
to specific subsystems are easier to get into.  We have several good
examples of this already (Walter, Jorgen, Dan's prefiltering, etc).

If anyone feels that not having SVN access is hindering their ability
to contribute,  please let me know.  If you've already shown interest
and have sent material in, I'll be happy to provide access as long as
you have some specific goals in mind.

> I'm not "giving up" by any means, just for 0.7.4 which seems to be the
> right way to go right now.

No worries, I'm glad you let us know, and I hope that things settle a
bit later in the year.  There will be much more to do :)