[IPython-dev] instance docstring vs class docstring

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu May 10 02:11:42 EDT 2007

On 5/8/07, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Is there a way to avoid this inconvenient ? Do you think modifying
> ipython's "help" function to workaround this would be a good idea ?

help() is part of pydoc, which is, how should I say this politely... a
bit 'messy' :)

So I'm not sure that monkeypatching help() is such a terrific idea.

I'd rather improve '?' so we show *both* instance and class docstrings
when available and different, so that users get all the possible info
about an object (it's likely they both contain useful things).

Cheers,