[IPython-dev] magic and imports on engines

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:59:40 EDT 2007

So as of today, the engines run a plain vanilla python interpreter.
Thus, nothing that you can do with IPython will work on the engines.
But..., we are currently in the process of porting and refactoring the
entire IPython interpreter to IPython1 and the engines.  In fact, this
is why the parallel stuff is called IPython1 - eventually it _will be_
the 1.0 release of IPython itself.

But, because of how IPython grew up, it is welded to the terminal and
its parts are not factored in a way that makes it maintainable and
easily extensible.  This is also partially why IPython has
traditionally not had very good test coverage.  All this is changing
for the better in IPython1, but it is slow work.

One of our goals in this transition is to provide continuing support
for the 0.8 versions of IPython and allow the stuff in IPython1 to
coexist with that so that it can be used for parallel distributed
computing.  Please let us know if you have any other problems.  I will
be fixing the problems you ran into running trial ipython1 today.

Cheers,

Brian