[IPython-dev] IPython and SDL/PyGame

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 12:53:20 EST 2007

Hi Jim,

sorry for the delayed reply, family business...

On Nov 13, 2007 12:14 PM, Jim Burnes <jvburnes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando,
>
> I'm writing a book on programming in Python.  I'd like to use IPython
> with SDL/PyGame/OpenGL.
>
> I noticed that you have GUI interfaces to PyLab / GTK / QT, WxWindow
> event loops.  Do you know of any special issues with SDL/OpenGL?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Burnes

I'm cc-ing the ipython dev list because someone else might have
something else to add on this front.

The first thing you should look at is:

http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook/EmbeddingInOpenGL

I should add that at one point, I hacked a bit a -gl flag similar to
the -wx/-qt/etc ones in my private copy, as I wanted to interactively
run OpenGL apps from ipython for testing GPU accelerated codes
interactively.  It seemed to work kind of OK, but I kept running into
problems with re-initialization of the OpenGL main loop.  Since that
project rapidly moved over to a pure C++ codebase, I didn't pursue it
further.  Honestly I only spent maybe one hour testing this, so I
suspect a full solution is actually feasible.