[IPython-dev] [Enthought-dev] pausing in IPython in a Chaco based wx app

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Nov 22 16:17:12 EST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 02:08:22PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> > I was doing the dumb thing of using the python input function but
> > that
> > seems to lock the wx thread so that the gui doesn't update and
> > becomes
> > unresponsive.  Is there a way to code  a <hit enter to continue..>
> > that doesn't lock the wx thread?

> Off the top of my head I can't think of a solution, but if you find
> one (you may already have), it would be nice to have it listed in the
> ipython cookbook:

> http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/Cookbook

> as I'm sure you're not the only one with this need.

Yes, this would be very important for interaction with say pylab in data
processing scripts. For instance imagine you need to code something that
asks the user to select a region of interest on a graph, and then go on
with the processing. This a weak point compared to matlab and it hurts us
(my lab) in our day-to-day work.

Gaël