[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] IPython 0.8.2 and PyReadline 1.5, getting ready for release...

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 16:24:12 EST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007 1:48 PM, Noah Gift <noah.gift at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are the results:

> I do see a readline.insert_text.  One other symptom I notice is that if I
> use the up arrow to scroll back through my command history, that the lines
> become confused and the spacing will be odd like follows:
>

> In [2]: clear
>
> In [3]: def function():
>    ...:     print "This is a test"
>     ...:
>
> In [4]: def function():                   clear
>
> The clear from line 2 appears in line 3.
>
> I am always happy to help do QA testing for Leopard, as it is killing two
> birds with one stone for Jeremy and I.

OK, thanks for the info.  It looks to me like we have a bit of real
work still to do on Leopard, but I'd rather not delay this release too
much longer because of it.  There will always be 0.8.3, and we can put
that out soonish if we figure out what's going on with Leopard.

I will get access to a Leopard machine soon (roughly a week,
hopefully), so I should be able to dig into this myself.  Unless
someone has a fix they can send us, I think I'll cut out the 0.8.2
release tomorrow, and we'll continue to work on this one in the
upcoming weeks so we can have a fully Leopard-happy ipython.

It seems to me that the multi-line history is getting mangled up in
leopard's libedit, which may behave differently than readline in some
subtle aspects.  That may be a bug in our part or one in libedit, but
even if it's the latter, we might be able to work around it somehow.