[IPython-dev] sort dynamic attributes on tab completion

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 19:25:48 EST 2007

Hi Matthew,

On Jul 8, 2007 3:58 PM, Matthew Neeley <mneeley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dynamic attributes from trait_names and _getAttributeNames are added
> to the list of tab completions, but when this happens, the attribute
> list is turned into a set, so the attributes are unordered when
> printed, which makes it hard to find the right completion.  Here's a
> patch to turn this set back into a list and sort it.
>
> -Matthew Neeley

sorry for never replying.  Your patch (or at least the idea) did make
it in when I added the traits support, though the function was in fact
committed as genutils.dir2():

http://ipython.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/changeset/2568#file3

> PS- This is my first contribution to ipython, so I hope this is the
> right place to send this.  I think ipython is great software, and want
> to thank you all for your hard work!

Thanks to you for the kind words and the contribution.  And yes, even
if sometimes we do a poor job (typically me) of handling the mailing
list and responding to user contributions in time, this is the right
place to send them.  If it's something more involved, making a trac
ticket may be better, but we have a small enough project that for now
I'm OK not enforcing (as larger projects often do, and with good
reason) a strict rule of only working on things that have had a trac
item created for them.