[IPython-dev] No release this weekend, & UsageError

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 10:07:11 EDT 2007

On 9/8/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:

> In a macro/batch file execution this would interrupt the execution,
> but they still won't warrant showing the full traceback to the user in
> interactive session (this is when just showing the error string is
> enough).

So here's what it looks like now (in svn):

[Q:/ipython]|37> pushd
            <37> ['Q:\\ipython']
[Q:/ipython]|38> cd /
[Q:/]|39> popd
popd -> Q:\ipython
[Q:/ipython]|40> popd
UsageError: %popd on empty stack
[Q:/ipython]|41>

I'm not opposed to adding the previous style pushd/popd to
ipy_legacy.py if backwards compatibility is needed, but the current
implementation is less surprising and the only special case is popping
an empty stack.

Next up for me: fix

%macro 3-5

To give usageerror, as opposed to creating a macro called "3-5".