[IPython-dev] parameter sys_exit=1 in IPShellQt

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Mon Sep 10 01:55:43 EDT 2007

Hi!

On Montag 10 September 2007, killian koepsell wrote:
> i just discovered the nice hint in the ipython script to put the
> following two i lines into the
> PYTHONSTARTUP file:
>   import IPython
>   IPython.Shell.IPShell().mainloop(sys_exit=1)

Hehe, nice hack!
But why would you do this?  If you want ipython, just start ipython, not
python.. I occasionally like to be able to start python without bells and
whistles, e.g. as a simple calculator.

BTW: You can also have completion w/o ipython:
http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~meine/python_tricks#completion-in-the-python-console

> it works great! however, i noticed that if i use IPShellQt instead,
> the ipython shell does not exit the python shell.

I think you would need to call qt.qApp.quit() instead of sys.exit here.

--
Ciao, /  /                                                    .o.