[IPython-dev] Suggestion for tab completion exc handling

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 02:47:48 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Attached is my suggestion for a new completer exception handling. It
> should allow us to get at least some completions, if e.g. python
> completer insists on giving exceptions. Custom completer failures
> would give full traceback, as they should (they typically have bugs,
> as opposed to "expected failures").

Mmh, I'm kind of tired now so I only had a quick look.  But it did
seem to add two more naked excepts, of the kind we're worrying about.
Why is that?

Also, any reason you don't want to rather implement something like the
'silenceable' exceptions I mentioned in the other thread?  We'd get a
lot of mileage out of that, since we (developers) could run with a
mode that turns them all into traceback-showing exceptions via  a
startup flag, while leaving things reasonably quiet for users.  There
could even be more than one kind of such groups of exceptions, so that
one can selectively turn some of them on without doing it for all.

That seems like a net architectural win for the long run, no?
Basically something akin to the python warnings framework, but for
exceptions.