[IPython-dev] strange namespace issue

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:44:56 EDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Freitag 14 September 2007, Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> > On 9/14/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >     I stand amid the roar
> > >     Of a surf-tormented shore,

> > Get some sleep, seriously. :-D
>
> Heh, I liked it.  And I bet it *did* express his feelings when he saw
> everything go None without his will. ;-)

Thanks, Hans.

This was actually a little experiment of mine, not borne out of sleep
deprivation.  While trying to explain the issue, when I typed the
'world-within-a-world' expression to explain the nesting of execution
contexts, the  term reminded me of "A dream within a dream".  The text
I put in there is the end of Edgar Allan Poe's poem:

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/1422-Edgar-Allan-Poe-A-Dream-Within-A-Dream

This is an extremely well known text in 19th century English
literature, and it does carry Poe's characteristic dark overtones.
While those may appear a bit quaint to today's generation, I doubt any
of us on this list will leave a mark comparable to that of Poe in
human culture :)

I deliberately didn't put the full reference (though I hinted at it)
to see how people in a technical list would react to this kind of
text.  The result was rather informative :)

Regards,