[IPython-dev] Preparing for 0.8.2 release

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 09:57:32 EDT 2007

On 9/15/07, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Dienstag 28 August 2007, Fernando Perez wrote:
> > On 8/28/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I guess this could be opportune time to start preparing for 0.8.2;
> > > there are no serious bugs that I know of.
> > >
> > > Is all the doctest stuff in shape for the release? Does anyone have
> > > anything that should go in?
> >
> > No, I'll probably get to it this weekend, so let's shoot for sometime
> > next week for release.
>
> Maybe it's a good thing that the release was postponed: I wonder if we can
> improve/fix the multiline input in 0.8.2.
>
> Why is it not possible to paste sth. like the following into ipython with
> activated autoindent?
>
> def faceStats(face):
>         fl = face.label()
>         return "N=%d, \\mu=%.2g, \\sigma=%.2g" % (
>                 wsm.faceMeans.pixelCount(fl),
>                 wsm.faceMeans.average(fl),
>                 math.sqrt(wsm.faceMeans.variance(fl, True)))
>
> Then again, I just tested with older versions back to 0.6.15, and it never
> worked.  So it's no regression and does not need to be fixed in 0.8.2 either.

I'll have to leave this up to Ville to decide, with a note that the
autoindent/paste  logic is already so convoluted that I'm not sure
it's really worth the effort.  Guessing all the corner cases to do
this correctly in a purely line-oriented environment with no notion of
a 'paste event' requires borderline mind-reading.

You might also keep in mind that the %cpaste magic comes in handy in
such cases, since it lets you keep your autoindent status and paste
arbitrary code in, at the expense of a little '--' at the end.