[IPython-dev] Strange behavior of _ih with calls to %hist

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:43:45 EDT 2007

On 9/27/07, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all (though this is mostly to Ville, probably)
> >
> > does this
> >
> > http://ipython.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/ticket/188
> >
> > make sense to you?  I find it a bit odd that the _ih object is being
> > modified in-place like that.
>
> I do know that it's been around for a while; it's probably a problem
> with pretty-printing. _ih itself is not modified (see it by doing
> 'print _ih').

OK, thanks.  It seems we're not the only ones with unicode problems then...

I just closed the ticket with this comment, so we can forget about it:

"""
As pointed out by Ville on list, this is really a pprint bug, possibly
unicode-related.  Since pprint is part of the stdlib, I'll just close
the bug as 'invalid' for now.

If someone comes up with an idea on what to do with pprint in the
stdlib, it should then be reported on the python.org tracker.
"""

I still wonder what exactly causes it, but I don't have the time or
interest to go spelunking inside pprint to find out.