[IPython-dev] Twisted 8...

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:11:52 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Barry Wark <barrywark at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Being installable via easy_install is a huge win (really a
>  >  requirement) on OS X 10.5.
>
>  Thanks for the info, easy_install support is certainly a benefit.
>  That doesn't outweigh the cost of losing out-of-the-box installability
>  on all linuxes, I'm afraid (it's not our fault that OSX is such a mess
>  to develop for when outside of the Apple garden), so we should find
>  out what's needed to make the code run with both 2.5 and 8.0. I'm now
>  praying that they didn't make it impossible...
>
>  Brian, you know that code far better than I do.  Any ideas on how hard
>  that would be?

Just to play devil's advocate, it's not our fault that linux distros
lag behind in their packaged version of Twisted ;) There's no reason
to loose out of the box installability on OS X either... Does anyone
know what the distribution of users' OS is for ipython?

On the more practical side, why not use Python's pacakge system (i.e.
setuptools) to install Twisted (I'd guess that all linux distros that
would include ipython would also have setuptools packages)? I know
ipython1 itself is going to be setuptools-free, but using a
setuptools-compatible Twisted might allow the ipython1 installer to
install (maybe even precompiled) Twisted eggs if Twisted isn't
present. Just a thought.

Hopefully we can use either Twisted 2.5 or 8 (perhaps mirroring
twisted.internet.threads.blockingCallFromThread if its present or
supplying the ipython1 version if using Twisted 2.5).

Barry