[IPython-dev] Creating a Mathemtica notebook like GTK Interface?for sympy

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 3 14:08:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 05:47:48PM +0000, Philipp Strack wrote:
> Do you know whether there is anywork done inside ipython to visualize
> python objects inside the Textview (of e.g. the gtk example)? Does
> something like this make sense (as it probably breakes compatibility
> between the terminals)? Would such a feature have a place inside
> ipython?

Not directly inside ipython, I think, but we discussed passing around
objects that could have a repr_wx method, that would be called by
the wx frontend to represent them. You could have a hierachy of methods
to represent an object, with the string method < unicode method < raster
picture method < vector picture method < gui/web front-end specific
method.

This is of course currently just vapor ware, and needs more thinking.

And this could only work with ipython1. There is a embryo of wx front end
in ipython1 that you can see on:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/ipython1-dev/files/gael.varoquaux%40normalesup.org-20080326023356-xm3yc935ky5q3zq8?file_id=wx-20080302203151-17poomviavsf2zjj-109
). All this is not terribly advanced though, and does not make use of
Min's notebook features. Maybe you should ping Min about them, I am not
sure he is following the discussion, and he is the one who thought about
this most.

Cheers,

Gaël