[IPython-dev] Release plan for 0.9

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:38:03 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently a lot of activity on ipython has been happening in three
> branches: one for testing support that I'm working on, one for
> notifications by Barry and one for the wx frontend by Gael.  With
> Scipy fast approaching and Enthought planning an EPD release next
> week, we'd like to cut a release now.  The 'ipython0' functionality
> will for now remain mostly unchanged, other than being (partly) tested
> for the first time.  Gael's and Barry's work are mostly infrastructure
> for moving forward, and we have all the IPython1 code now merged in.
>
> So the question is how to make this merge happen.  Here's the branches we have:
>
> 1. Testing support code that lives in
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~ipython/ipython/test-tools
>
> That touches code in quite a few places but in a mostly harmless
> manner, and builds tools for testing that are as of yet a bit
> developer-only.  I'll put the user-sugar on top later.
>
> I've made the branch proposed for merging, which shows exactly what
> revisions haven't been merged yet.  Unless anyone sees a problem, I'll
> merge this tomorrow.

OK, this has been merged into trunk.  I'll do some more work on it,
but the key pieces are all in.  I should warn that some convenience
routines aren't in place yet, so you can't quite do something like run
'ipython-test' at a shell. But I don't want to worry about that yet,
until a key namespace handling issue is fixed.

If any of the devs is interested in playing with it, there's a little
Makefile in IPython/testing/plugin that does all the nose plugin
installation/test running for you as a convenience.  Just edit the
install path for the nose plugin at the top.  Later I'll add a
top-level user script that handles all this transparently.