[IPython-dev] Ipython frontend (async, sync, line or block oriented...)

Laurent Dufrechou laurent.dufrechou at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 05:38:32 EDT 2008

Hi barry,
I've started to take a look at your work. Seems from my quick review
that you've done an asynchroneous frontend, block oriented while gaël
as gone through the opposite :) sync and line oriented.

In fact, seems you've used ipython1 while gael has gone ipython0 no?
(If I remember well, ipython1 can instanciate remote ipython instance)

Can you explain me the difference between block oriented and line oriented?

Line oriented is (I think) that you feed ipython instance with line
and ipython instance determine by itself block bounds.
So I think block oriented is that it is the frontend taht determine
the bounds of the block?

Cheers,
Laurent