[IPython-dev] Future of wxIpython

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Aug 17 15:29:47 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 09:21:53PM +0200, Laurent Dufrechou wrote:
> My code in /gui/wx is duplicate to this code (IpythonX.py). Where do
> you want to go with this code?
> Do you want me, to let it there in /gui or move it to /frontend/???

I would like the code in frontend to stay general. Your gui code does
more than a frontend, as it introduces menus, and other items that
actually get in the way of somebody who wants to reuse the frontend as
part of a bigger application, without the bells and whistles. I have gone
in my design for a layer structure, with different objects inheriting
from eachother. The application designer is welcome to use any one of
these.

> Seems for me that code base for frontend is in the root of frontend.
> Barry has an asynchroneous cocoa frontend in ./frontend/cocoa, gael a
> synchroneous in /frontend/wx.
> Must I add subdirectory, ./frontend/example/ ./frontend/wx2 ./frontend/wxaui ?_?

I would rather not have another directory with Wx code. It will make it
very confusing to people.

> If possible I would like not to trash my code :), and make it evolve
> with frontend new features.
> So what are my options?

Subclass or reuse either the WxController is wx_frontend, or the IPythonX
one in ipythonx, if you want Ctrl-D to quit, as this is the only
additional feature (appart from title changing).

You have to define what it is that you want to develop: what is the goal
of the code you are writing. This should help us figure out how it will
fit in the big picture.

Gaël