[IPython-dev] Brand new refactored version for linux users!

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 13:02:47 EST 2008

[ Note: the screenshot has been removed because the scipy server is
having problems and I can't approve the submission.

It basically showed no highlighting, and weird artifacts for commands
like 'ls' in the output.  Laurent, I can send it to you privately if
you want ]

Hi Laurent,

On Jan 10, 2008 2:55 PM, Laurent Dufrechou <laurent.dufrechou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Here is finally a new version with a completely refactored display widget.

Great, many thanks.

> I've switched to scintilla because of the difference in behavior between
> windows and linux.
>
> The benefit is that now history widget got syntax highlighting J

Mmh, I don't see that yet, at least not on my linux box.  I'm
attaching a screenshot so you can see:

- no highlighting
- strange ESC]0; artifacts for some output.

I also noticed that anything that is printed out goes to the terminal.
 Try for example

magic

and you'll see the output paged in the terminal where wxIPython was
started.  After that, I had to kill the whole thing because I couldn't
regain control of the WX shell at all, no matter what I tried.

So it still seems to have a few rough edges, but I see a lot of
potential here.  Thanks!

> I've commited all of this under ipython/trunk/ipython/gui.  Don't know if
> it's ok as it the first time I do this… J

That's OK, it gives you a self-contained area to work in.  It would be
good if you could add a README.txt file that indicates that this is
still *purely experimental* code, so that people aren't misled yet
into thinking that it has the full ipython capabilities.  I'm very
happy to have you on board and contributing a real GUI ipython, but we
need to be careful not to confuse users as to the robustness of the
various pieces.