[IPython-dev] IPython development news and prospects

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 02:24:39 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 12:20 PM, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:

> Very interesting. I think there is no way you could use Traits as
> extensively as we use it in Traits-based project, doing reactive
> programming using Traits callback. However, for a small use, this seems
> like a good idea.

yes, we certainly couldn't use any of the real 'traits way', since we
would only implement the minimal stuff necessary for something like
tconfig to exist (except with support only for a few basic types being
validated).

> I wonder whether you shouldn't simply try to patch Traits, as there is
> only one C file. So you could provide a replacement to it. I don't know
> what Dave Morrill (the author of Traits, for those who do not know) would
> think about this, but I think it would be a good idea.

Before I bug David M, I'd like to have a little test of my own, just
to get a better feel for whether the whole idea even makes any sense
at all in practice.  This is one of those cases where working code
will end all arguments: if it's really easy just to write the little
piece we want, then that's OK, and we move on.  If it becomes rapidly
clear that there's a slippery slope of having to do half of the real
traits, I'll just punt and rethink the whole question.