[IPython-dev] Fwd: Multi-line history problems in ipython (mac osx)

Michael VanLandingham m.vanland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 18:37:36 EST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 2:38 PM, Boyd Waters wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Michael VanLandingham wrote:
>
>> I recall that there was a bug filed in October regarding tab-
>> completion / rlcompleter (Boyd filed it).   The thing is, the multi-
>> line history problem doesn't occur in the stock python 2.5.1on
>> Leopard.  It works fine.
>
> I think Apple tweaked something with the update to 10.5.1
>
> Can you point me to the bug that I filed? I'll take another look.

<rdar://problem/5563035> Python readline - rlcompleter does not work
(on https://bugreport.apple.com/, do 'Find Problem' at the top. etc.)

>>  But it doesn't work in iPython.  I also
>> don't fully understand readline or editline, so I don't know (and
>> haven't found the time to discover) where the problem originates.
>
> I suspect that something isn't getting bound correctly in .editrc --
> I can probably deal with this in an ipython profile but not sure.
> Again, if I can understand what "multi-line history" means maybe I
> can be more intelligent. Looking at that bug report may remind me.

So what I mean is that, in iPython, if I enter in anything that spans
more than one line, such as a function definition.  Say it's this:

def dog():
     print 'bark'

and then I want to edit that (e.g. because what I really want is for
dog() to print 'woof'). So I hit the up-arrow key to insert the
previous history entry into the current line.  But when I do the
terminal formatting becomes corrupted - for example, the cursor is out
in the middle of the row, and so on.  It makes editing almost
impossible.

I think there was a better example in my original post.  It's easier
to show than to explain, but you'd know it if you saw it.  It happens
with stock Leopard & current iPython.

I too prefer to use the stock python framework on Leopard, since I
tend to use a lot of PyObjC and bridged frameworks, not to mention I
don't want to have to customize every system I might use.

Thanks,
-mvl