[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] Development plans update

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 04:34:18 EST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008 9:57 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. We push out an 0.8.3 release with a fair amount of care.  We
> actually go through Trac and find anything we can reasonably expect to
> fix and try to close it.  This would likely be the 'end of life' of
> the series.  I'm willing to participate on this work directly, since I
> know the codebase pretty well, but obviously it's not a decision I'll
> push without the agreement of Ville, Jorgen, Walter and the rest of
> the team.

I feel I have to chip in on this -

I don't see the need to declare "end of life", quite on the contrary.
We should call it "complete". New Extensions can still be created
(they are pretty independent of the core), and I don't see a problem
creating some new extension points if need be (they can be trivially
added, and can be easily ported to next-gen IPython as well).

However, I'm more than happy to reject as "WONTFIX" everything that is
disruptive to the core, or would require lots of work (bye bye,
unicode defects) :-P

Also, we should still keep accepting patches that are obviously correct.

The bottom line is, if something won't require much time, I don't see
a problem submitting it to trunk. Most importantly, as far as Leo
integration goes, I would like to do that with IPython trunk. on
IPython side, this will happen mostly in Extensions/, and i don't
foresee much (if any) changes to IPython core.

One important point regarding IPython1 is dogfooding. We need to get
it to "usable" state quickly, in order to give it some testing (I
currently depend heavily on trunk for my daily work).

Does the current ipapi work with IPython1 already?