[IPython-dev] [IPython-user] Development plans update

Walter Dörwald walter at livinglogic.de
Wed Jan 30 09:25:19 EST 2008

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to drop a quick update on the current plans, as well as
> propose a few specific steps to take from here on.  It was great to
> hear so much enthusiasm coming from different corners, so it's obvious
> that we must now make good use of such 'capital', lest we lose it to
> other projects :)
>
> - First, an update on the HG situation: Ryan Earl, from Enthought, has
> kindly agreed to help up set up hg on their servers, with a likely
> timeline of mid- to late-February.  In the meantime we'll continue
> operating on our existing SVN, but I'm sure it will be very handy to
> have hg once we start making deeper changes and keeping more parallel
> lines of development running.
 >
> [...]
>
> Comments on hg-based workflows are welcome.

So will the hg repository start with a fresh history or will we do a hg
convert?

> [...]

> [...]
> The first order of business would be, using this, to get working:
>
> - a terminal-based, single-process ipython, much like today.
> - in-terminal GUI support like our -Xthread options of today.
> - a gui embedded one, likely Laurent's WX tool.
>
> If the above goals are met, likely it will be because the right
> abstractions will have been made (things like separating prompt and
> readline handling from stdin/out, etc).

Porting ipipe/ibrowse to ipython1 would be simple, once we have a
display hook extension mechanism. Except for the hook that invokes the
display object, there are no other dependencies.

I especially liked the generic function generics.result_display(), but
it seems ipython1 uses a different tool for that:
http://projects.scipy.org/ipython/ipython/browser/ipython1/trunk/ipython1/core/display_trap.py

Is there any chance of porting generics.result_display() to ipython1?

Servus,
    Walter