[IPython-dev] pyreadline refactor progess

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 15:40:59 EDT 2008

Hey Jorgen,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Jörgen Stenarson
<jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the refactoring of pyreadline is progressing nicely. I have now moved
> all stuff that depends on the console out of the emacs mode. The vi mode
> still uses some console stuff and should not be used in non-console mode.

What are your thoughts on this being workable as a full replacement
for python's readline in text terminals?  There are platforms where
readline continues to be a problem (until recently OSX, and John
Hunter tells me his Solaris boxes never work quite right, for
example).  It would be nice if ipython could use its own
self-contained readline everywhere, with a uniform API for text
consoles or GUIs.  But I don't know how to go about the work of
trapping keyboard events in a text terminal (precisely what GNU
readline does), and I don't feel like learning :)