[IPython-dev] Getting rid of "print" in ipython

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Wed Jul 9 10:59:34 EDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 09. Juli 2008 14:20:40 schrieb Edward K. Ream:
> Good question.  There is nothing, per se, wrong with sys.std.write, but it
> is not equivalent to print.  In Python 3.x, the print *function* has
> several keyword arguments, and the semantics of those arguments must be
> handled by, say, IPython's pr function.

What are those arguments?  Where would they be needed in IPython?
So far, the usual string interpolation techniques in connection with
sys.stdout.write() have always been sufficient for me.

Asking the Python folks for a transition method could make sense (although I
am sure that the name sys.print_function will *not* be chosen ;-p ), but
obviously, that is not relevant for IPython.

Greetings,
  Hans