[IPython-dev] Unused imports

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sat Jul 12 20:28:59 EDT 2008

I am currently exploring the IPython codebase (I am looking at how to
extract the line processing of IPython0 to port it in IPython1).

We all know that the IPython codebase is a web of entangled object hard
to break down. One thing that strikes me as a low hanging fruit to
improve the situation, though, is cleaning up the imports. Almost every
file I have looked at has a large amount of unused imports.

If you use a powerful IDE like eclipse, you can configure it to show the
unused imports, but if you like emacs or vim like me you can use pyflakes
to check for these. Inspired by the mighty Robert Kern, I have binded one
of my keys in vim to running the file in pyflakes. This is easy and
allows to spot the unused imports in a split second.

Gaël