[IPython-dev] Moving forward with GUI's (was Re: Help! TR: TR: Ipython plugin

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:26:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Laurent Dufrechou
<laurent.dufrechou at gmail.com> wrote:

> About specific API for GUI devs,
> Here is my feeling about what was missing in ipython0 and that could be
> refactored/improved while switching to ipython1:

Since I have some professional interest to boost my qt skills, I
thought that providing qscintilla (and pyqt4) version of ipython might
be a good way to really find out what needs to be generalized in
IPython. Of course you have already done a good job with wxipython,
but it would really help overall ipython architecture if we made the
code in GUI's as natural as possible (i.e. without needing the hacks
you had to do for wxipython). At least eric4 could then embed ipython
instead of vanilla python.

As assumedly Fernando now re-assumes the coordinator role for the
stable branch, plus the influx of other dev's to ipython0 code base,
it should be much easier for me personally to allocate the "ipython
time" into playing with a largish feature like this.