[IPython-dev] IPython development: course adjustment required

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Tue Jun 3 04:49:20 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Johann Cohen-Tanugi
> <cohen at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
>> hi there,
>> I am even more a spectator than John, but I fully concur with the
>> conclusions that incrementing ipy0 is the right approach. I have been
>> downloading both versions of ipython in order to check where were the
>> features I needed or wanted to explore, and the parallelism is certainly
>> not available to any ipython user as it stands now. I somewhat
>> sheepishly asked in this list a few weeks ago why there were no ipython1
>> executable  to try out the corresponding features!
>> You might even gain in developer's base by proceeding this way ;)
>
> That's precisely the plan :)  As long as we're careful not to piss
> people off by breaking too many things at the same time, what users
> will experience will be the gradual growth of the parallel features
> inside a tool they already use for everyday work.  This is something I
> was blind enough to overlook for a long time.  Yes, I'm kicking
> myself, you don't need to :)
>
>> So, +1 big time on reconsidering developing ipy1 within ipy0!
>
> Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Hi Fernando and other ipython developers,

I never fully understood why you started ipython1 as a separate
project instead of improving ipython that everyone knows
and is in all distributions. So all I can say is a big +1.

Another mistake would have been to release something usable in a year.
That's too late. However releasing things that are ready in small
improvements now is the way to go.

Ondrej