[IPython-dev] Old 'broken terminal' bug finally fixed

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Mon Jun 9 14:41:34 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there's a very old, *extremely* annoying bug that multiple people have
> asked about (on list and in person) that is finally just fixed.  The
> behavior was that at some point during a normal session, after a call
> to 'foo?', your terminal would be totally messed up, with no displayed
> input.  You could (blindly) type !reset to issue the system terminal
> reset command, but that would only help until the next time foo? was
> called, and the problem would then return.  Most of us would end up
> just quitting ipython and restarting, often losing useful session
> state.
>
> The problem with this is that we never knew how to reliably reproduce
> it...  Anyway, it's fixed now in current bzr:

Here is how to reliably (100%) reproduce it in ipython 0.8.2 (the bug
indeed goes away in 0.8.4):

http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=822

together with a screenshot how the terminal looks like (see the
comment #6 for the exact sympy revision to use). Maybe you could use
it to track the bug down in curses, as your patch only seems to be a
workaround (albeit working).

Ondrej