[IPython-dev] Moving forward with the frontends

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 16:28:40 EDT 2008

8 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Gael Varoquaux
> <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is just a heads up to say that I have been allowed to devote some of
>> my day work's time to working on a frontend for iPython. We want to
>> integrate IPython in Mayavi and other similar projects. The requirements
>> are:
>>
>>  * We want something fast, not after three months of work
>
> Great!  Real quick (I'll respond to your message in full later): we
> can make this an IPAM project, in the end I *will* make it there after
> the SIAM conference, so put it in your schedule for those two weeks
> after the talks end.  IPAM is a great place to work anyways...
>
> Timeline for everyone else (the previous paragraph was a bit cryptic):
> Gael and I will be physically together for 2 weeks at a workshop at
> UCLA July 14-25, and we'll work on this as time allows around
> scheduled talks.  If Barry, Laurent or anyone else is interested, we
> could schedule irc/skype sessions occasionally to coordinate the
> frontend progress during that period (in addition to on-list
> discussions).  Gael will likely also visit with me at Berkeley
> afterwards, so July/August is a good timeline for this to happen.

I am stuck in Seattle, then Woods Hole, MA over this period but would
be happy to irc/skype as the need arises. Hopefully Gael and I can
touch base some time late this week and come to a united front on the
frontend tactics.

[1] Is it acceptable to abreviate IPython.kernel.engineservice.[blah]
as I.k.e.blah as the Twisted folks do? Since we now have a somewhat
deep namespace, it's getting a tiny bit tiresome to write it all out
every time...?