[IPython-dev] pyreadline refactoring

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:36:43 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Jörgen Stenarson
<jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started to work on a refactoring of pyreadline with the goal to
> untangle the class interactions that have made it difficult to reuse
> pyreadline in other circumstances than a shell on win32.
>
> The basic idea is that it should be possible to call a readline object
> with keypress events containing (control, shift, meta, char, keyname)
> where keyname is for special keys like space, f1, return etc.
>
> The readline object would be responsible for keeping track of current
> prompt, line_buffer, cursor_position and selection_position. But the
> caller of the object will have to render the buffer.
>
> I have also merged the callback branch I worked on a few months back.
> The branch is at lp:~jorgen-stenarson/pyreadline/pyreadline-refactor
>
> If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on how things should work please
> let me know.

Jörgen,

Wow, this is an exciting move in view of the plans to separate
ipython0's core from the terminal/readline. I am still learning about
pyreadline, but your description above makes me think that you, me,
and Gaël should think about using the new (refactored) pyreadline in
developing a base class for front ends that are based on a
line-oriented interface (i.e. mimicking the terminal interface).

Barry