[IPython-dev] Bazaar on OS X

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Tue Jun 24 18:56:50 EDT 2008

2008/6/25 Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Barry Wark <barrywark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a side note on the VCS side of things...
>>
>> Bazaar appears to have a bunch of problems on OS X with directories
>> that are reached via AFP (Apple's file sharing protocol). I've filed a
>> bug with the bazaar folks, but as we start to push towards having a
>> more full featured Cocoa frontend for ipython, it's worth remembering
>> that some potential developers on OS X will have trouble using bazaar.
>> I'll keep the list posted on progress resolving this issue.

What kind of trouble?  I haven't come across any, but it would be good
to know what to watch out for.

> I have to say that I've given up on the whole 'history folding'
> problem, so I'm not 100% happy with bzr/lp either.  Basically if you
> have truly diverged lines of work where you did work and committed
> locally while other devs pushed, a merge is inevitable (even if you
> keep several branches and push only from one that you don't develop
> in).  And at that point, bzr does the whole 'dropped revisions' dance
> and folds history.

When branches diverge, a merge is necessary.  Some revision control
systems hide the merges, others (like bzr) don't.  How does mercurial
handle the issue?

Maybe I'm missing the whole point (feel free to tell me so): why is it
such a problem that there is extra information in the log?  Do any of
the log formats alleviate the problem?  Or is it mainly the issue that
launchpad has such a sucky log display?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'd like to get to the bottom
of the whole thing.

Cheers!
Stéfan