[IPython-dev] Win32 IPython1?

Barry Wark barrywark at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 14:53:59 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> again, please send these messages on-list, so they get properly
> archived and others may also help you if I'm not available (I'm at a
> conference right now).
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Alex Brown <Alexander_Brown at uml.edu> wrote:
>
>> I could not find a way to uninstall a module either with setup.py or
>> easy_install
>> (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-December/294789.html) -
>
> easy_install and distutils have no automated uninstallation, unfortunately.

I believe you can do easy_install -m to effectively uninstall an app
that was installed using setuptools (not one that was installed via
distutils). The -m (or --multi-version) flag removes the package from
the setuptools .pth file, but doesn't remove it from the
site-directory. This way, anyone that wants to use it has to
explicitly require it from setuptools but everything else will not
know it's there. This is one way to have multiple versions of
setuptools-installed packages available or to "uninstall" a package
without breaking any other packages that depend on that package.