[IPython-dev] About IPython and bzr

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 03:24:53 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:

>  I have special plugin win32symlinks that provide support for fake symlinks on Windows.
>  At least checkout of branch with symlinks is possible without a hassle.
>  It works for me very well.

Any reason why this is not in core? I did notice that there is a
plugin available, but having to resort to a plugin when such a "core"
functionality is at stake makes me feel a bit uneasy. Is it not stable
yet, or not the "final answer"? Is there a danger it will botch
history or merging?

I still think we should at least try to avoid symlinks in bzr for a
while more, until a definite solution settles down. And besides, if
the symlink is the "right answer", it should be in an area that is not
needed on Windows; obviously, even if you were able to check out the
symlink, it would never actually work in win32.