[IPython-dev] [Branch ~ipython-dev/ipython/trunk] Rev 1129: added ipy_gmail extension

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 03:23:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Stefan Van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za>wrote:

> It's so annoying when projects ship files in "contrib" that are
> incompatible with the latest release -- kind of makes you wonder
> whether these people are serious about delivering good quality
> software.  By investing a tiny amount of time in unit testing and peer
> reviewing code, the problem can mostly be eradicated.  Seems worth it
> to me, a thousand times over.

Actually, the mechanics here is that 'contrib' stuff should just use the
public api's of ipython. Sometimes, some extension may go through _ip.IP
(which slates them for breakage), but it makes sense to provide a
low-overhead way to contribute additional features.

One alternative would be to move all these extensions to separate package -
kind of like package archive of emacs. Post-0.9, I think we should seriously
consider adding a magic function that downloads and installs the latest
version of ipython extensions package - this would also decouple the
extension release cycle from ipython release cycle. Of course the problem is
mostly psychological - code in 'contrib' will mostly be invisible to
everybody that doesn't go out to 1) find it and 2) enable it.