[IPython-dev] branch management getting better...

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:34:42 EDT 2008

> I have couple more questions to the workflow:
>
> So you publish let's say 30 little commits in your branch. Stefan
> reviews it, let's say he says the commits 15, 20 and 21 are crap and
> you should rework it. :) So will you add commits 31, 32 and 33 fixing
> the crap, or will you actually edit the commits 15, 20, 21 directly?
> Does bzr allow you to easily delete the public branch and repost your
> reworked 30 little commits?

Currently we only use an all or nothing approach to reviewing and
merging branches into trunk.  This does have the disadvantage that if
you have a branch with many different commits, merging all of them
could be held up by one or two that nee to be cleaned up.

This is a reason to make more and smaller branches, rather than fewer
larger ones (with more commits).

I guess I usually work in a way such that in a given branch all the
commits are related to each other in such a way that it wouldn't make
sense to only merge some of the them.

But, I think it is possible to do a merge of only certain commits.

Does this answer your questions?

> Because you said you merge those 30 little commits into one or a few
> commits, so people who pulled your branch will have mess in their
> repos, right?
>
> I like the direct editing workflow, i.e. I also like to commit 30
> little commits and then merge it in a few well polished patches, send
> them for a review (e.g. push them into some branch), then fix things
> couple times depending on the review and finally the commits go in the
> main trunk. And I realized that mercurial is getting in my way in this
> workflow, and we switched to git with Kirill (another sympy developer)
> and it allows me to work in the way I described very easily and also
> to push the reworked patches to the same public branch (removing the
> old stuff).

At this point, we are not working with directly with patches.  When a
branch is ready to go - public or not, it is merged in.  I am not sure
I am understanding your question now.

Brian