[IPython-dev] rebase vs loom (was branch management getting better)

David Cournapeau cournapeau at cslab.kecl.ntt.co.jp
Thu Sep 4 02:32:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

	For a discussion about how bzr do things when you would use rebase with
git

http://andrew.puzzling.org/diary/2008/July/29/rebase-criticism

and

http://lwn.net/Articles/269120/

Which is interesting since Linus explains why he thinks rebase should
avoided in some cases, which are quite important when you think about
it. Rebase is nice to use (I use it all the time now for numpy/scipy,
since I only develop through git-svn for sometime), but I think it
becomes impractical. Making it hard to share with people is not the only
reason: it makes it hard to understand what happened during that
developement when you need to go back in history; IOW, rebase is almost
always the bad solution. It also makes bisecting much harder. I like how
Andrew makes the difference between commit history and change
presentation; I think the difference really makes sense.

cheers,

David