[IPython-dev] 0.9 Windows installer still not working for me!?!?

Jörgen Stenarson jorgen.stenarson at bostream.nu
Thu Sep 4 13:04:21 EDT 2008

Brian Granger skrev:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to test IPython 0.9 on Win32 in preparation for the
> release.  Here is how I am building the installer:
>
> python setup.py bdist_wininst --install-script=ipython_win_post_install.py
>
> I need to build my own installer because I am working off a private
> branch that has some bug fixes.  Then I just double click to install.
>
> Everything installs fine.....but, there are no .exe files created
> (ipython.exe, ipcontroller.exe, etc.).
>
> When I install using an egg and easy_install, the .exe files get
> created just fine.
>
> Is the Win32 installer still broken or am I doing something really
> stupid?  I don't @#$* about Windows and I would consider this to be a
> show stopper for the 0.9 release (unless someone can point out what
> stupid thing I am doing).
>
> Can someone with Win32 karma point the way here?

I usually add .py and .pyw to PATHEXT and %PYTHON_INSTALL_DIR%/scripts
to PATH to ensure I can just type ipython at the commandprompt. With
these environment variables set, I can run ipython just fine at the
cmd-prompt after running a windows installer from latest trunk.

It looks like the ipython shell script in %PYTHON%/Scripts is copied to
ipython.py on line 76 in ipython_win_post_install.py perhaps the other
scripts should be given the same treatment.

The last time I looked at using ipython from an egg in windows there was
some weirdness. Caused by the ipython.exe file launching another process
to run python and when you did ctrl-c only one of the processes where
killed causing really strange behaviour. But this was several years ago.

/Jörgen