[IPython-dev] ipython0.9 and python2.4

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Sep 14 22:26:39 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 07:15:05PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
> > Frontend code is cleaned up. This has been check in my branch. Brian was
> > centralizing the fixes in his branch. I am not too sure what the status
> > is there.

> I just merged his code, where he'd merged from you.  I've added some
> decorators to implement the win32 fixes more cleanly.

Looks good.

Brian and I where toying with the idea of adding a method to the wx
frontend. This method is for execution of a command in the interpreter,
while displaying it also on the screen.

The changelog can be seen on
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gael-varoquaux/ipython/ipython-sync-frontend/revision/1149
and you can pull from my branch if you want.

I had to add this in my work at Enthought, and it was really an oversight
from my side not to put this in the API of the line frontends. The reason
being that this is actually not trivial to get right (finding out what
event to call, and even more important, how to interact with the GUI
event loop in a way that is robust under Vista), so I think it should be
part of the API. I had kinda decided that we would have to wait for 0.10,
as I missed the 0.9 release, but now that we are doing a 0.9.1, I am
pushing for it to go in. It's been used fairly heavily in the work I have
been doing at Enthought, so it's been tested in this regards. I can't add
a unit test, however, as it relies on the GUI event loop.

Gaël