[IPython-dev] Tag and branch 0.10 soon?

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:59:10 EDT 2009

Howdy,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:42:30PM -0700, Fernando Perez wrote:
>  > I am happy you guys are tackling these issues. I remember running into
>> > them when trying to test the hacky 'PrefilterFrontEnd', which combines
>> > IPython0 and IPython1. It was not a pleasant experience.
>
>> Yup.  In fact, right now in the 'bugfix' branch, it turns out that
>> I've finally understood that the things you did are precisely what's
>> causing a raft of bizarre errors :)
>
> ROTFL. Keep me posted on the 'right' way to do things. I am not really
> proud of this code.

Well, as I said, there's nothing to be ashamed of on your part, you
did what you had to do to make it work.  The 'right' way to do this
will come when in the refactoring, we isolate ipython instances
correctly so they don't have global side effects all over the place
like they do now.  At that point the hacks you had to resort to, and
which cause massive problems in the test suite, will just become
unnecessary.

So no worries, if anyone's at fault here, it's me for years :)