[IPython-dev] Problems with "trial IPython.kernel" on trunk

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 15:16:14 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Brian Granger<ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ran the  test suite for trunk with all deps installed and I get a
> huge number of errors and failures when trial runs on IPython.kernel.
>
> This is due to a bug that I have fixed in my own module-reorg branch.
> Basically, in ultratb, there are calls like this:
>
> ipapi.get()
>
> But, when the test suite for IPython.kernel is run using trial, no IP
> instance every gets created so ipapi.get() returns None.  The fix is to do a
> check for None before using the return value of ipapi.get().
>
> What I don't understand is how other's haven't seen this - especially
> Fernando in his running of the test suite over and over for the release.  I
> can port my fix for this from my module-regorg branch to trunk, but I want
> to first make sure that there is nothing wierd going on.

Mmh, I don't see that at all, no.  The trial part of the test suite
gives me typically ~400 tests on my linux boxes, a few skips at the
beginning, and that's it:

IPython test group: trial
IPython.frontend.cocoa.tests.test_cocoa_frontend
  TestIPythonCocoaControler
    testControllerCompletesToken ...                                  [SKIPPED]
    testControllerExecutesCode ...                                    [SKIPPED]
    testControllerInstantiatesIEngine ...                             [SKIPPED]
    testControllerMirrorsUserNSWithValuesAsStrings ...                [SKIPPED]
    testCurrentIndent ...                                             [SKIPPED]
IPython.frontend.tests.test_asyncfrontendbase
  TestAsyncFrontendBase
    test_blockID_added_to_failure ...                                      [OK]
    test_blockID_added_to_result ...                                       [OK]

[SKIPPED]: IPython.testing.tests.test_decorators_trial.TestDecoratorsTrial.test_linux

Skipping test: test_linux. This test does not run under Linux
Ran 399 tests in 31.466s

PASSED (skips=8, successes=391)

What do things look like for you?

Also, can you show me the commit with your fix?  I can try to apply
that same change on trunk and see what happens, but I'm quite puzzled
that you are getting errors I'm not...